sort of fixed it

jen2

In the last post I talked about the gap between my vision and my skills, and the struggle I have been having with the Islamic style binding I was working on. I cut apart the doublure on the side of the binding which was too short, I couldn’t get it un-glued. I re-wet the leather on the spine, put a couple of thin pieces of card inside the binding and put it under weights. After the covers had dried again, I re-glued the doublure but I ended up having to patch the inside, I used some mulberry so it wouldn’t add any more bulk. The book is OK. The covers just about meet the edges of the book block. I wouldn’t give or sell it to anyone else, but as it has such beautiful paper it wont be such a hardship to keep it for myself. Here are some pictures of the finished book. I am glad the semester is winding down, maybe over the break I’ll take another stab at it!

the repaired doublures

the repaired doublures

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “sort of fixed it

  1. understand your frustration — a lot of what is in my head never makes it out! but the photos show that you did finish a nice book!!
    Allison
    Dunlap TN

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s