Yesterday I took a day off, I went for a walk in the rainy woods with a friend and spent time at home eating and chilling with my family.
Today was one of those days eaten up by the less creative side of being an artist, returning emails and phone calls, working on a poster and other publicity for the next show I am curating, arranging pick ups and drop offs for work, yeah, all those kinds of things. I also had a mind numbing headache that lingered all day. Gah!
After a trip to the library and dinner I did manage to finish a couple of little pamphlet scrap journals. I also made this recycled Coptic journal. The cover came from a box of things left on my porch this morning by one of my library fairies. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use that variegated cotton crochet thread, its like they were made for each other.
Now I am taking my headache to bed. Hope it is gone by morning!
Yesterday I decided to work on some mini books, just in case a local festival would go on despite the torrential rain. I also put each book I was planning on taking in a protective plastic sleeve. I don’t like to do this as you can’t experience the books in the same way but I also didn’t want my entire inventory to get soaked.
This morning the festival was cancelled, it is still pouring here. I was fully prepared to go stand out under a soggy tent with few visitors, but I am glad I can stay home in the warm and dry.
Today started out with a doctors visit. The Hubby’s tendon is not completely torn, just frayed and should heal with rest and time.
The rest of the day was spent sewing Berehinia. My hands are sore, but she is finished.
Tomorrow it is back to production journals before the festival on Sunday.
I had a hard time getting started today, the general anxiety of family worries hung over me. Eventually I sewed the binding for half a dozen more little brown lunch bag journals before starting the project I really wanted to work on, the finished incarnation of the Berehinia binding.
It took most of the afternoon to very carefully punch all the holes, and more time to set the tension with a double row of kettles at each end of the book block – slow going. I was using some beautiful antique Irish linen thread, but it had been wound tightly for a long time, so sewing with 4 needles involved several tangles!
By dinner time I was ready to start the fun part, sewing the exposed embroidered design. I designed the pattern and sewed the model 2 years ago, so even deciphering my decisions has been slow going. By late evening I am about a third of the way through the pattern.
Hopefully I will finish it up tomorrow.
Last night I watched some you tube videos recommended by an artist friend across the pond from a series “what do artists do all day?” It was motivating and reassuring to see famous artists dithering in front of the blank canvas. So less freaked out today, although no new ideas have come to play yet. A couple of older ideas hinted I should revisit them, stay tuned.
I began my day today with a road trip to Chautauqua Institution, to fix a small problem with a chalk board menu I delivered last week. It was a glorious morning, summer in western NY can be so beautiful!
Back home in the studio there was a lot of prep work again, getting covers ready to sew, tearing paper. A lot of hours and little finished to show for it, just these 3 little guys.
The day ended with an urgent care visit for my poor hubby who tore his lower bicep tendon, ouch. And a drive out to drop off forgotten things to our daughter at camp. Again a beautiful trip. Dinner at home with the poor invalid, an unusual treat for us, a good bottle of wine.
A good day I think.
Today was one of those prep days, lots of cutting and glueing, resulting in this stack of drying covers
And some lino prints, now drying…
And two little finishing touches to books that were almost finished yesterday
I could sew on goat skin all day, of course that would make the books so ridiculously expensive I would also get to keep them all!
It was very stormy here last night, the thunder felt like a manifestation of my stress, still no word from the muse, so I am going to dive in and experiment, make some marks, see a few lines, see if she shows up.
Today I have been pottering, I have the sense of a new work lurking, but when I turn to look it vanishes like smoke. I am hoping by keeping my hands busy with practical things, measuring and folding and sewing will give that idea to coalesce. So I sewed a few more books from scraps of paper, vellum and book covers made from the brown paper I cover the tables in the studio.
I also finally worked up the nerve to finish my final simplified binding, left over from PBI. I wanted to add veneer wooden covers, I am not completely happy with it yet, but maybe I can resolve it tomorrow after it dries under weights tonight.
The idea is there for the new work, I can feel it. Hope the muse is about tomorrow!!